This post brought to you by:
Betty blogging at Peace Creek on the Prairie.
I am a Christian homeschooling mom of six blessings and farmwife to one awesome guy.
Product: Latin for Children A
Publisher: Classical Academic Press
The Master Bundle includes:
Master your Latin and save! The Latin for Children Mastery Bundle includes all of the LFC A materials. Includes one copy of each: Primer A (textbook), Primer A Answer Key, DVDs & Chant CD, History Reader and Activity Book!
My children LOVE this. It is so fun to hear the chants as they work through their days. Latin has always scared me, and yes, this is quite funny since I have a few years of Spanish and French under my belt and have been over seas and had to actually use those languages. Something about learning Latin has scared me though…and now that fear is GONE. Get some great facts as to why to learn Latin here. This page also tells a lot of extra information about Latin for Children. We have actually used this as a family study, which means we are moving a bit slower…as we make sure daddy has time to listen and watch the short DVD lesson as we begin each new lesson. Why? because when we start talking “Latin”, we are able to correct each other, when we mispronounce or use a word wrong.
Why I like it…It keeps my children’s attention and they are learning a little Latin everyday. It also has the Bible woven through it and I appreciate products that include Christian values. This one does just that
The first year of Latin for Children (LFC) includes the following modular pieces:
- LFC Primer A — Student text and workbook. The foundation of the curriculum
- LFC Primer A Answer Key — features the actual text with answers in bold print
- LFC A DVDs & Chant CD — offers chapter-by-chapter training by the author with 2 students. The chant cd contains all 240 vocabulary words chanted and sung in both the classical & ecclesiastical pronunciations.
- LFC A History Reader — Read Latin stories from history that are geared toward the grammar and vocabulary being learned in each Primer.
- LFC A Activity Book! — Play games and puzzles that help students master the Latin vocabulary and grammar from each Primer.
These books are the collaborative effort of three Latin teachers, and are the fruit of seven years of research and testing. Latin for Children is the choice Latin curriculum for many classical schools and homeschoolers.
The structure for a lesson is:
- Present the grammar chant and vocabulary
- Do the chant 2-3 times.
- Introduce Grammar Page
- Watch the DVD
- Watch the DVD again
- Do the chants 2-3 times
- Go over the grammar page more thoroughly
- Work through the Worksheet together
- Start Working on the Activity book pages
- Do the chants 2-3 times again
- Finish the Worksheet and check making any corrections
- Review and explain any confusing grammar
- Watch the DVD again
- Continue Activity book assignments
- Do the Chants
- Complete puzzles from activity Book
- Begin History reader—this is for about half way through book—we aren’t here yet.
- Take the Quiz
- Finish reading the History Reader
Now, in real life we do Latin for Children 3 times one week and 2 times the next week. It is the only way I can fit it in. May not ideal, but it works for us. If we have free time during the “off days” we do the video.
There are lots of free downloads to assist with your Latin Studies. These have been a great help. I printed off the flash cards and printed the English cards separately. They play memory with each week’s list of words.
There is also an online site full of online games and such that is free to go with your studies. So far, we have not spent much time here. I have had to limit computer time for my children so we are able to cover some other things. We only have so much time in our days to get everything completed and computer is one of the first to get limited.
If you are looking for a Latin study, I highly recommend this. It has Christian and Biblical values woven right in! It is fun, and not boring as many language lessons are. My children beg to do Latin. It is the highlight of their days.
The TOS Review Crew reviewed several items from Classical Academic Press. See what they have to say about the products they reviewed.
I received this free in return for my honest review. I will not receive any further compensation.